This article covers:
- Using Tokens in Offer Links to pass dynamic variables, such as the Affiliate ID, Creative ID, Request ID and Visitor ID
The Offer Link is the redirect link provided by the Advertiser. Many Advertisers want to be passed the Affiliate ID and other values when traffic comes through, but want to avoid having to code each link individually. CAKE uses tokens to dynamically update each link with the appropriate value so when promotional material is collected by Affiliates from their CAKE interface, it ready to be used.
Hover over the Set Up tab and click on Show Tokens. These tokens are the ones that will work within the offer link. For example #affid# will be dynamically replaced at the time of the click-through with the ID of the affiliate sending the traffic. Tokens are usually sent through on link parameters. Only some of the tokens listed above are available for use within offer links.
The first parameter on a link after the URL is denoted by a question mark '?' while additional parameters are appended using an ampersand '&'. The value for the parameter is added after an equals sign '='. ie ?parameter1=123¶meter2=abc
Affiliate ID: #affid#
Offer ID: #oid#
Campaign ID: #campid#
Creative ID: #cid#
Sub ID 1: #s1#
Sub ID 2: #s2#
Sub ID 3: #s3#
Sub ID 4: #s4#
Sub ID 5: #s5#
Request ID: #reqid#
Visitor ID: #vstid#
Example Offer Link with Tokens
Things to note
- #vstid# - a unique number that identifies the visitor that can be passed to the Advertiser as long as the user is cookied in.
- #reqid# - needs to be sent to the advertiser whenever they are using a postback (server to server) URL for your tracking pixel.
- s1 - s5 are ID's the affiliate can append to their tracking links. These values will be reported back on any conversions that come from those clicks, therefore, the ROI of their performance can be calculated.
- s1 is reserved for passing SubAffiliate ID's or general traffic source ID's (i.e. Website name, or search engine). There is a character limit of 50 and it must only contain non-unique values for platform performance reasons. Advertisers may want this passed through so they can study performance per SubAffiliate in their own internal tracking.
- s2 - s5 the affiliate can pass any value they want, up to 100 characters each.