This article will cover the following:
- What are vertical field validators
- Adding validation to a field
- Client Post Decision
- Server Post Decision
- Error Text
- Compare Value
- Copying validation from vertical
- Age Validation
What are vertical field validators?
Fields are found on the LeadGen of CAKE and allow you to build your posting doc for a specific vertical.
Validators allow you to make certain fields required and validated according to your specifications in order for them to be posted into CAKE. Also through validator settings, you can tell CAKE exactly what to do with the leads that do not meet your requirements.
Adding validation to a field
To add a validator to a field open your Vertical card > select the Fields tab > click on the Label hyperlink of the field that you would like to add validation to.
After clicking on the hyperlinked label name the validation card will pop up. Click Add and from the drop down in the Validation Type column you'll want to select the type of validation you're wanting to implement. The most common validator is "Required Field/Valid Format" which is why it is the first on the list.
Client Post Decision
The next column is for the Client Post Decision. This section is for validation on a browser post, typically for someone who owns their landing page. The option you choose here will tell CAKE what to do with a lead that does not match the field validation you selected here.
You will have three options:
- Force Client Review: This requires validation on the page the user is interacting with and requires some additional ajax code to be placed on that page. If you select this option a user will not be able to submit the form until they meet the validation type.
- Review: If a lead that is browser posted in does not meet the validators set for this field, CAKE will send the lead to the Review Queue.
- Throw Out: If a lead that is browser posted in does not meet the validators set for this field, CAKE will send the lead to the Scrub Queue.
Server Post Decision
The next column is where you'll select your Server Post Decision. This column is for validation on a server post, typically someone who does not own the landing page. You have two options here for where you would like your lead to go if it does not meet your validation requirements.
- Review: If a lead that is server posted in does not meet the validators set for this field, CAKE will send the lead to the Review Queue.
- Reject: If a lead that is server posted i, does not meet the validators set for this field, CAKE will send the lead to the Scrub Queue.
* You need to select decisions for both browser and server posts, even if you are only currently utilizing one type*
The Error Text box will be the message you want to show to your user when forcing client review, or to your affiliate as to why this lead failed. By default CAKE will send a general “error” message, but if you would like to customize that you can do so here.
The Compare Value box will be used for certain validation types, such as “Equals Value” or “Contains Value.” The value posted into CAKE for this field will either need to equal or contain the value you specified here or be the opposite if you checked the “Fail on Match” box next to it.
Copy Validation from Vertical
Another tool for validation is the Copy Validation from Vertical button found on Vertical card > top right of the Fields tab. This will allow you to copy the validators from any of your other verticals onto the one you are currently editing.
Specific Validation: Age Validation
To Validate on a DOB (or other Date-type Field):
1. Open the Date Field's Validation Box by clicking on the Field Label.
2. Choose the correct Validator (does the person need to be Greater Than or Equal OR Less Than or Equal to the Age?).
3. Choose what you would like to happen for Form Posts and Server Posts (Review, Reject, etc.).
4. Optional: enter Error-specific Error Test (i.e. "You OLD!").
5. In the Compare Value, enter this following syntax (without quotes):
"datenow,<age_to_compare>" (i.e. datenow,21)